Tuesday, November 17, 2009

On the job training.

Today has been one of those interesting days where I find myself transitioning into more of the person that I am to become.  On the way to church tonight, I was given the word that I was in charge of the women's program tonight.  That one wasn't such a big deal to me.  I already knew that it was a distinct possibility and had a short devotion and lesson prepared.  You see this time of year is normally very busy, however with the economy down we are even busier and we are adding a major outreach program and four new employees, it is quite hectic this year.  Needless to say the officers are relying heavily on local leaders to step up to the plate and work church programming.  For the women's program that falls to me.  With which I am perfectly content.  In fact I enjoy it.

However, in the process of delivering my devotion and lesson, I was confronted with the emotions of one lady who lost her mother just last night.  The family situation she is facing in the process of this grief, is trying to say the least.  I have never been in the situation of losing a parent much less face the family dynamics which this beloved lady is facing.  So I did the only thing I knew to do, I talked with her, listened to her, accepted her feelings, talked about how I thought I'd react (because she asked), and lastly prayed for and with her.  Like I said it was the only think I knew to do.  She thanked me for it.  So I guess I did her some good, even if I didn't know what to do.

For one thing I am thankful, is the prayer warriors that God has placed in my path in the recent years.  From them I have learned many things, including how to more effectively pray especially the needs that are 'hidden' in simple requests and laying them out to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment