Monday, October 17, 2011

Passion

God has a plan for all of us. The key in life is finding out what that plan is and following it.  -- Darrell Waltrip

The above is quoted in a piece written on the death of Dan Weldon, of which I wrote last night.  Darrell was trying to explain to the non racing world why it is exactly that race car drivers can and do get back into their cars and race once again after such a horrific crash as the one that killed Dan or earlier ones that killed the likes of Dale Earnhardt or Adam Petty.

However, the statement is true for all of us, not just racecar drivers.  Could I get back in a race car and race after a close friend had been killed doing that very thing.  Probably not, but racing isn't my passion or  my calling.  Can I help lead a hurting and confused congregation in worship after a friend and a beloved Officer was gunned down in front of his children just four days prior, on Christmas Eve no less?  Yes I can and I have, but not by my own power.  Left to my own devices I would have run far and fast, hid in a hole and pulled it in after me.  I would have left my calling behind and said God and The Salvation Army can do it with out me.  But I didn't, no I had God's power and passion behind me as well as the prayers of some very strong prayer warriors.  God has given me that calling, and he has given me the passion and I will not be content serving in any other way.  Every single time we have left our calling and tried to go any other way, God has always brought us back to it.

1 comment:

  1. And the calling is what gets us through, some days, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete