Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Contentment vs Urgency

This morning I have been on a wild ride exploring a couple of thoughts.  All started by THIS.  Yes it is a link, go read it first, I'll wait.


Good you are back.  Just last night I was  posting about busy-ness keeping me from being content.  I could tell that, just below the surface, something was stirring.    I couldn't quite get that feeling nailed down and into words.  I was fighting what I thought God meant and afraid to go into it more because I didn't want it to go there.  Again I was afraid that being content was staying right where I was, and I wanted to move forward. I read Craig's post this morning.  (which incidentally was a God thing, I usually don't read blogs right away, putting them off to this mystical thing called "A better time")

As I sat down to read it this morning, my initial thought was that urgency is the opposite of contentment.  But then I read
"We tend to keep up with the pace of life as dictated by our calendars, but busyness is not the same as urgency. Fervent attention to a vision for our lives and the disciplined obedience it takes to see it fulfilled lead us to a level of growth that is absent otherwise."
THAT is what I seek,  I won't be content unless I am growing.  It is this sense of urgency in my spirit that is fighting against staying right where I am.  My mind, my frail human mind, was placing these two ideas at odds with each other.  But Contentment is not staying right where you are. It is the the state of being contented and being contented is feeling satisfaction with one's...........situation.  And staying right where I was wasn't satisfying me, and I don't think it is satisfying to God.  I KNOW he placed a very specific call on my life and where I am is not it.  I was trying to fit what I thought was contentment meant with what I knew God was calling me to do and the two ideas weren't meshing and that was causing me grief, heartache and a lot of sleepless nights.  However, once I looked up the meanings to the words in the dictionary (they are linked you can look them up too) I realized my error.  The sense of urgency I feel is right and proper and not at all at odds with the theme of contentment God has given me.  He wants me to be satisfied with my situation, and I won't be satisfied until I am moving forward toward my call.

1 comment:

  1. :) This is awesome! I have Holy Ghost bumps

    ReplyDelete