That really stung and hurt. I was mad, I was frustrated, I didn't want to take a step backward. It felt like God was saying nothing was going to happen in these areas that I was so anticipating change to happen. And quite frankly I didn't want that. I was still looking at is as a Plan B so to speak. So, I wrestled, I complained, I avoided.
Case in point, during this past year I picked up a Contentment: A Godly Woman's Adornment by Linda Brownbeck as one of Kindle's freebies (I just checked is isn't free anymore but it is still available). I halfheartedly began it a time or two. But never really got into it. I was still complaining. Last night I decided to read it again and really pay attention to what God was saying to me. I ran across the following quote that I had marked and shared before.
Happiness, to our way of thinking, is the pinnacle. Happiness is when we get the things we have dreamed of and when life goes our way. Contentment, so we think, is secondary. We see it as the consolation emotion we must settle for when actual happiness is lacking. "I'm not really happy with the way things are, but I'm content for now." Yet contentment and happiness are one and the same if we understand these words from a biblical perspective and orient our lives there.
But this time it struck me in a new way. I remembered a quote from a video in the Beth Moore study I am doing (A Woman's Heart). Paraphrasing Beth, she was saying that God doesn't have a Plan B. He knew all along what was going to happen, knows what IS going to happen, what are actions are going to be. Even that I was going to put those two sources together last night and come to an epiphany. Contentment isn't my plan B, It was God's plan all along for me. He just knew what it was going to take to get me to see and understand it. For one Contentment is understanding and knowing God is with you in the valleys as well as the on the mountain top.
This is a hard lesson. I find I must relearn and relearn and relearn it...and I think this post was for me this week...I have been in an ill-tempered, discontented place
ReplyDeleteoh... I hate the relearning process. The perfectionist in me doesn't like that at all...
ReplyDelete