Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What are the odds?

.......that in your life time you will know two completely different people, from two completely different places that were born on the exact same day?  Whatever, those odds are,  I have beaten them.  I know two people who would celebrate their 38th birthday tomorrow.  Two people who I have celebrated with in the past, and would celebrate with tomorrow if I could.  However,  I can not celebrate with either person.  And that makes me sad.

One was a friend from high school.  We did a lot of things together during that time, including get the flu together at her birthday party when we were in the 10th grade.  However, for whatever reason, our friendship has died.  It took a terrible hit shortly after we graduated and I made some choices with which she didn't agree.    So much so that she took it upon herself to go to my parents and try to get them to make me change my mind.  I was bitter and upset with that for a long time.  Even when she was proven right about my choices in the long run.  The fact that she was wrong about my motives and did not trust me or others closer to me to see and change my mind, made me very mad at the time.  I did eventually get over this and she came to my wedding and I went to hers. But we still don't agree on many things and so the friendship is not one that is a close one.

The other is  friend I met after high school and college.  She was a very dear friend, very supportive of me and I of her.  But I can not celebrate with her either.  Though I would if I could.  This is the fifth year now that we have celebrated her birthday on earth here without her.  She passed away in 2007 leaving a gaping whole in the hearts of many who knew and loved her.  

So tomorrow I will remember the good times and wish the first friend a happy birthday on facebook, and wish I could the same with the second one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment