Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Listening

LISTEN ~ I believe that is my theme for 2012.  I am already liking it more than Content which was this year's theme.  But at the same time I am very hesitant to say that because God always has a way of making me grow and change no matter what the theme.  And that usually involves some sort of pain, that I am not big on.  However at least I am not completely balking at the theme like I was this time last year.

I was writing in a journal last night, something I plan to keep up with this year, about listening and exploring the concept more.  And I began to see some of the layers to this theme.  Some are pretty evident, others not so much.

What do I do when I listen, be still and really listen?  First of all I have to clear my mind out of all the ideas and preconceived notions I have about the subject  This allows me to have room for the thoughts and ideas of others.

By doing this I can learn.  My ideas may be expanded or even changed by what I learn.

By doing this I can understand.  Hearing God or other people with an open mind allows me to understand them  or the situation better.  Understanding leads to more learning

By doing this I value.  By listening, learning and understanding the other party is more valued.  The other person is more loved and important.

There is a saying "to make a friend you must be a friend".  Listening is a crucial step in that process.  Listening will make me a better person, wife, parent, friend, and most importantly Child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment