Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Story

I was privileged to be a part of something really big today.  But in reality the story began quite awhile back, as most stories do.  The threads that weave though out this story are varied as well, but as God would have it.  He took many threads from many different parts and wove a tapestry more beautiful than I could ever imagine.  And like I say, I was privileged, and honored really to play a role in the story.

As a young child, both my mother and my paternal grandmother had a hand in teaching me to crochet.  I worked on the craft off and on through the years.  Several years ago, I was introduced to the ministry of prayer shawls.  I loved the thought of praying for someone as I created a keepsake just for them that would remind them of God's comfort and healing presence.  I was even able to create a couple myself to give away.  I made it a Women's Ministry topic more than once.

Four years ago, I was blessed with the opportunity to stay home with my children and educate them at home.  This also blessed me with more crafting time.  Enter Ravelry.  I was introduced to tons of patterns, techniques, and designs I had never had a chance to see before.  It was several months before I began to find my way around the forums and groups that Ravelry has to offer.  They have specialty groups on just about any interest that one could imagine.  Eventually I sifted my way through the groups and found about 4 that I really like and participate in regularly.

One of these groups is a fan club of sorts for a particular yarn. The main premise the group shares is its love of crafting.  We do swaps all the time where we exchange goodies and yarn with one another.  Another kind of swap that this particular group is fond of is block exchanges.  Where a set  color scheme and size of block is decided upon.  The members of that swap then create a set number of blocks and exchange them with other members of the swap.  It can be rather addicting, swapping squares.  I should know. I have participated in no less than six block swaps this year.

Now what do we do with all.these.blocks that come in from literally all over the world.  I have block made in England, Canada, and Australia, I believe.  There are only so many afghans one can have right.  A lot of the time they are given away.  The blocks from my very first, or freshman, swap were stitched together, bordered, and given away to a sweet friend of mine who lost her sister  to long term chronic illness last year.  Another one I have earmarked for a friend's Christmas present this year.  One my daughter has claimed.  I have ideas for several others.

But the beauty of this group is the fact that we come together in times of need.  Several members work with shelters and take donated blocks and create wonderful one of a kind masterpieces for the shelter residents to have and keep.  Other members create lapghans for nursing homes, or children's homes.  I have contributed blocks for several of these causes.  It is truly a blessing to be a apart of these ministries, and they are ministries even if they are not run by religious organizations.  I always pray for the recipients weather I know their story or not.

Once in a while, however, a group member comes across a need that is near and dear to their hearts.  A need that isn't addressed by a shelter, a nursing home, or a hospital, or any other organization.  A personal need to be filled.  One that could only be filled by a lot of people working together to make it happen.

I saw just such a need earlier this summer.  A friend of mine of mine had to tell her children that their father, a father they loved very much, had cancer.  They, needless to say, were heart broken and felt this very keenly on their hearts.  There were lots of prayers for this family, especially the father, who lives several states away.  But I wanted to do something uniquely for them, the children to show them that they were being thought of and prayed for as much as their parents.  I know that these kids knew this in their heads and hearts.  I know that their mother, my friend made sure they knew it.  But I wanted to do something tangible for them.

So I went to work, I got favorite colors from mom and put together my query.  I  picked out patterns and color schemes and I went to the group.  After posting a brief synopsis of the events and my hearts concern, I listed color schemes and patterns and asked for volunteers.  I had hopes that I'd have enough to make four 20 square afghans, one for each of the kids.  I was overwhelmed with responses in the first few days.  I had enough commitments to make 30 square afghans and four people to join the squares and border the afghans.  So I then set to work on mom and dad.  I had an blocks from previous swaps that I felt would fit each one of them.  Since one swap was currently running, I asked that if anyone wanted to send extra squares, I'd put them in mom's afghan.  I even had one gal knit a square with mom's name in it!!  The other swap had closed early in the year so I didn't ask for more squares for it so dad's afghan is slightly smaller that everyone else's, but it was put together with the same love and prayers as the rest of them were.

I had the afghans for the kids sent to me.  My daughter and I packed all six afghans tightly in a box, taped it up, and shipped it out on Tuesday.  It got there today.  I was truly blessed as my friend posted on her facebook status about the tears of joy and blessing were shed as she opened the box.

As I look back and read the story, it looks like an "I" operation.  It wasn't, truly far from it.  I may have organized it, but there is no way I could have done 1/10 of this myself.  The thanks goes out to the friends of the Vanna's Choice Fan Club on Ravelry that so graciously agreed to step up and help out with this undertaking. Through them I was blessed and was able to bless a very dear friend of mine and her family during a very trying time.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful story, beautiful afghans, all from a beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thread God has woven!!! They are so beautiful, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I get choked up EVERY.SINGLE.TIME I see the afghans and now tht I read this story...such an amazing deep labor of love...it extends beyond the borders of merely crocheted yarn. (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing and beautiful Maria!! Not sure how I missed this on her timeline, but what a great friend you are!

    ReplyDelete