If you do not own your reasons, you will be unmotivated and quite frankly, bored with the whole idea of persevering in cleaning. However, if you can name it, you can claim it; you can and will be much more motivated to keep going towards your goal. ~ Sarah Mae in Having a Martha House the Mary Way
This quote can be applied to just about anything, not just cleaning. I have called it head knowledge vs. heart knowledge. My head knows all the reasons I do something, because it is 'good for me', because it is required of me, because it is the 'right thing to do', because I think I am 'supposed' to. But until I decide what my motivations are and own them, take them to heart, believe in them, understand them inside out, the process becomes monotonous, boring, 'have to's'. I am mostly likely to get frustrated and quit. My perfectionism rears its' ugly head and adds to the frustration and feelings of inadequacy.
But, if I have heart knowledge, if I have fully considered the reasons and decided for myself, that they are worthy ones, ones that I embrace, then I own them. Success is much more probable. Or if I am not able to accomplish the task partial success or modifications are completely acceptable and even embraced with just as much satisfaction as success. Even the process is enjoyable, or if not enjoyable, at least bearable. And as a by product, often those head knowledge reasons are taken care of at the same time.
No comments:
Post a Comment