Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Articulate, Prepare, Anticipate, Content

What do these words have in common you ask?  They are mine, or rather they were given to me.  Yes I know others use them, too.  All the time in fact.  I do not begrudge their use, I do not claim to have exclusive rights to them.  However, they were given to me for a special purpose.

Let me explain, for the last few years  God has given me a yearly theme.  I had been observing several dear friends of mine who had yearly themes given to them.  I saw how the theme was woven in through their lives throughout the year, how many times the consecutive years themes worked together, and how that by concentrating on their theme they God revealed many lessons and growth areas.

Late in 2007, I started praying and asking God to reveal a theme for me for the following year.  I wasn't sure exactly how it would come about or if it even would but I prayed.  In 2008 and each year following so far, He has given me a word that has resonated within my spirit for days until I accepted it as my theme.

2008 was my year of Articulation.  I began the process of learning to speak up, to answer questions, to give advice, to say the words God led me to say.  I began to explore more of the art of speaking up and speaking out in leadership and using my God given love of words to express myself more.  This caused me to have to figure and find out more about myself so I would know how I felt and what I knew, in order to articulate my opinions correctly and eloquently.  I also had learn to use these words in constructive and purposeful ways, especially to build up and encourage, rather than carelessly or harmfully.

2009 was my year of Preparation.  God saw fit to prepare me for quite a few things, including a larger family. We did a lot of moving and adjusting physically, mentally and emotionally.  I prepared for and began a time of staying at home and educating the children.  I prepared more for ministry by looking back and recalling lessons I had learned throughout my life.  I prepared to bring another child into the world and our family.

2010 was my year of Anticipation.  I began that  year anticipating some very particular things, some of which came to pass and others that did not.    I learned that anticipation brings thrill all its own and yet sometimes pales in comparison to the actual event.  I began to savor the process of anticipation and to draw strength and lessons from said process.

2011 is my year of Contentment.  After a year of anticipating changes and moves, I did not relish a year of contentment.  I wrestled with God over this theme.  I felt it was setting me back not moving me forward.  But as the year has progressed I have discovered that being content is a process as well, that there are things which I can do to to be content.  I have also discovered that contentment is also a choice, that I can choose to accept the situation and live it to its fullest rather than push and strain against and trying to change it.

As I progress through the years, I also have learned that once December 31 hits and the calendar turns to another year, my lessons and themes do not end.  They become focus points for future lessons and build on one another as the years add up.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I still need to learn your 2011 theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this..I agree with all of it, especially the "building block" process. God is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first year I've had a theme (Simple) and believe me... it has not been easy!

    I love how you can see God at work in all of them!

    ReplyDelete