Monday, October 8, 2012

Community


I have been a bit off.  Not posting for three days now.  I could give reasons, but to tell you the truth I am not sure what they would be.  I could give you excuses,  I have a long list of those.  But in reality. They just didn't get done.  I know in that in most "real world" scenarios that would be unacceptable. And quite frankly in this world it really is to me.  In fact, in the past, because of the fact that I missed 3 days of a blogging commitment, I probably would have given up the whole project in defeat.  But in the course of the last year or so, in mentoring sessions with our Corps Officers, I have been encouraged not to give up on myself in many areas of my life.  So I am plugging on ahead with my project.

Tonight I am going to be a bit more personal in my post, but it is still a general Army related information.  Because of the nature of The Army, we are very interconnected beyond the local corps level.  Several corps in a large metropolitan area will be grouped together as an Area  Command.  All the Area Commands and independent Corps with in a designated region (a state, two or three states combined) make up a Division. Several divisions in a geographical area make up a Territory.  The US has four Territories, other countries in the world may be their own Territory. All the Territories make up the International Army.  Like in the Armed Services, each level of organization has its own leadership and chain of command, all the way up to our International leader the General of The Salvation Army,  currently General Linda Bond.

When our kids go to camp, it is usually a divisional camp they attend, at least here in the states.  They see friends from all over the division.  The same happens with women's, men's and family retreats.  Of course with the rise of social networking media this inter-connectedness is even stronger.  We also have regional events a few times a year.  Corps members interact with corps members of other corps often, friendships are formed and networking and support are desired benefits of such closeness.

Not only is the camaraderie maintained on the lay person level, it is also vital support system throughout the Officer Corps as well, often times on a larger scale geographically.  Because each Session (Class) of Cadets is gathered from Divisions all across the Territory, friendships that are begun and maintained in Training (Seminary) are spread far and wide once Commissioning occurs and the new Officers are sent out into the field across the Territory.

Another level of this community is that between the Soldiers and the Officers.  We as lay people form relationships with the Officers serving us as leaders and pastors.  Officers in The Salvation Army are appointed to serve in the areas where they are.  And because of such a system of appointments, they are moved from place to place as needs arise.  When Officers moves happen both the Officers and the Soldiers form new relationships with new people.

Because of this community in the Army world, I have friends and support from people all over my state and the neighboring state in our division.  I also have Officer friends in various places in our Territory.  It is a large world and a global Army, but it is made smaller by the community we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment