First of all go read this and yes there is a link there that you have to read before reading Dana's entry. So read both of those first and come back here, I'll wait.
Okay you back? Good. First a little background on me. I grew up trying to make sure every body was happy, and everybody liked me. I didn't rock the boat, I wanted to fix things, and just lived life in my own little world. If I got the rumblings of something not being 'right' I went into recovery mode to try and fix things. If the background wasn't good, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to present the facts so it all 'looked good' Even if I didn't have anything to do with it said situation. Just making a choice to be friends with a person, made me responsible for making that person 'presentable'. This mixed up person came from a variety of sources. The first born, perfectionist ~ fixer. Being from a family of perfectionists, having a quiet introvert personality. I am not blaming any one thing more than the other. It simply combined to make me who I was. I allowed these things to define me and my life.
However, it caused me great stress as I grew up and began a journey to figure out who I really was, what I wanted, and most importantly the person God created me to be. What I am discovering is that, there are some pretty big differences in what I thought that was going to be, and what it really is. And I keep making excuses for that to my past and many of the people there. I keep saying "I'm sorry" for that.
But you know what, that is my fixer nature kicking in again. Making things okay, presentable. I can not go through life apologizing. There will be times that I mess up and need to apologize and make amends. But not being what someone else expects or wants isn't one of them. So I am not sorry.
It might take me awhile to not be sorry. I spend a lot of time apologizing for everyone.
ReplyDeleteActually, Becky me, too.
ReplyDelete